Senior Linux Engineer
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently looking for talented and energetic engineers who would like to work on an exciting new set of products to help progressive organizations run more effective voter contact programs. This position will offer a unique opportunity to help build out an enterprise class data processing and analytics infrastructure for scale.
As a Senior Engineer at Catalist, you will have a leading role in efforts to discover actionable insights using the largest repository of individual-level data in progressive politics. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your findings will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support and maintain clustered software infrastructure – Cloudera, Cassandra, etc.
- Support and maintain the software solutions built by the development team
- Develop and maintain system documentation
- Provide technical feedback on specific product features and designs
- Adjust working schedule (occasional evenings and weekends) as workload demands
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Lives and breathes Linux
- Strong structured thinking, technical analysis, and problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail – across process, data, design, security, and engineering
- Production operational experience with Cloudera CDH – Spark, Kafka, Zookeeper, HDFS
- Production operational experience with Cassandra or other key-value stores
- Fluency in SQL necessary, the ability to understand SQL optimization a plus
- Working understanding of TCP/IP networking, web-based applications, web-services, and related technology stacks
- Full-stack troubleshooting with the ability to independently perform root cause analysis, and describe and implement a solution.
- Must be able to work self-directed and be accountable to organizational needs and plans
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment is critical
- Willing to get out of the comfort zone if asked, this might include a variety of IT operational tasks, especially when a teammate is absent
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Previous experience in an Agile work environment a plus
- Interest in progressive politics
Education & Experience:
- Must have at least 5 years experience with system integration, operation, and administration
- Experience with deployment and enterprise use of Redhat / CentOS Linux platforms required
- Experience with at least one RDBMS – PostgreSQL, MySQL, Aurora, etc. required
- Experience with columnar databases a plus (Vertica, Greenplum, RedShift, etc)
- Experience with web application development and web-based API development a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, equivalent degree, or equivalent experience
- Background check required
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Linux Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.